Head of Legal1 position
The role holder is expected to primarily lead the provision of legal advice, drafting and/or negotiations in complex transactions associated with the main core function of the BEDB. He/ she will be generally aware of the BEDB related activities that may may give rise to material operational legal risk issues associated with activities carried out by the BEDB with a view of mitigating or eliminating operational risks; and lead, manage and train legal personnel to provide legal advice that is practical and commercial to give effect to the required outcomes directed (including commercial, technical and/or social outcomes) and to carry out the necessary operational activities of the BEDB.
Key Result Areas
- Provides legal advice, drafting and/or negotiations on complex projects and infrastructure related transactions associated with the BEDB’s core function of facilitating and implementation of foreign direct investments and, where instructed, projects and infrastructure delivery related transactions relating to the government and associated entities.
- Provides legal advice to management and BEDB personnel on achieving operational outcomes for the organisation and on matters where the legal issues may not have entirely clear precedents that would enable the conferral of advice in a straight forward manner.
- Manage and assess other legal personnel in performing their job criteria outcomes and training legal personnel
- Working with relevant internal departments to raise awareness of the need to request for and receive legal advice.
- Proactively assess and advise potential material legal risks to activities undertaken by the BEDB as and when it is required or becomes aware of such risks.
- Ensures compliance with all BEDB’s policies and procedures and in line with Brunei’s legislation and regulations.
- Liaise with relevant internal departments to identify operational issues where legal advice is required.
- Support internal investigations team as needed.
- Assist in developing legal relationships with third parties in Brunei and internationally to give effect to activities undertaken by the BEDB where possible.
- Effective management of legal budgeting.
- Maintain and manage relationships with third parties including external counsel, vendors, and other organizational partners (directly and indirectly).
- May hold responsibilities of any or higher-level position from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
The successful candidate should minimally possess the following:
- Bachelor of Law or Juris Doctor in Law from a recognized university located in a common law country with a 2:2 equivalent grade or higher.
- At least eight (8) years’ sound relevant knowledge and experience in advising, negotiating and drafting on complex legal transactions.
- Strong projects and infrastructure knowledge, particularly in projects delivery and non-contentious construction.
- Independent and motivated personality with ability to regularly work beyond normal working hours.
- Excellent drafting, negotiation and presentation skills.
- Demonstrate strong leadership and decision-making skills.
- Sound and comprehensive communications and diplomacy skills.
- Good organization and planning ability and attention to detail.
- Good written and oral communication skills in Malay & English.
Candidates with any or all of the following are preferred:
- Completion of a solicitor’s legal practice course, bar professional training course or equivalent.
- Experience in cross border transactions.
- At least two (2) years’ experience in any of the following areas of law:
- Project and infrastructure (particularly delivery/construction);
- Energy and resources; and
- Business and company transactions.
Only Brunei Citizens and Permanent Residents of Brunei Darussalam need apply.
Please scan the QR code below to complete the Application for Employment Form and submit the application on or before 5.00pm on Friday, 5 January 2024.
You may also use this link to access the said form: https://forms.gle/XeMn2M5cxULpDgkB8
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified.